Sunday, June 7, 2009

“What does Tyler want for Graduation?”

“What does Tyler want for Graduation?”

Want to guess how many times I was asked this by our immediate family members leading up to our son’s High School Graduation? These are family members who have known him for all of his 18 ½ years, and either see him frequently (or frequently enough), and are (or can be) in touch often via phone &/or email.

Don’t get me wrong…we appreciate their interest in wanting to get something he will use or like, and something he doesn’t already have.

Part of the frustration is the answer I gave them all is “I don’t know.”

Am I a bad parent? Should I be upset that they don’t know our son well enough to think of something? Is it right for them to tell Tyler “We asked your parents but they were no help, so we hope you like what we got you.”

I wish people, especially immediate family members, would remember how very stressful Graduation time is for the parents. And with this being our first one I feel like I am beside myself with worry or stress…wondering if I’m covering all the bases regarding the Graduation Ceremony and the upcoming Open House.

Bottom line…it’s not rocket science. Go with your gut, go with your heart…and you can’t go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful with comments. We want an open and healthy place for quality communication. There will often be differences in opinions. If we feel your comment has crossed the line we will not let it show. Thank you for your participation! Mama Bear