Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Smaller Cereal Boxes...General Mills & Kelloggs...get real! Thank you Malt-O-Meal!


Smaller cereal boxes...General Mills & Kelloggs...get real! Thank you Malt-O-Meal!

After months of seeing the cereal boxes shrink in size, and the price per ounce increase, I've had enough! As a Mom of 3 teenagers, I want answers. An 8.7 oz box of cereal will maybe be enough for 2 breakfasts...and no, I'm not talking all 3 teens eating 2 breakfasts. I'm talking 2 teens eating 1 breakfast!

Add to that the fact that in our neck of the woods these cereals are going on SALE at $1.97 - $2.50 each. Yes, that's the sale price for many cereals that are as small as 8.7 oz.*thud* At seven days a week x 3 teens, that's 21 a week. Rounding up to 22, that's 11 boxes of cereal a week...at sale price we're talking appx $22 - $28/week...just for cereal!

My kids have grown up on your cereals, and have been eating them for 17 years! The very first cereal they had as toddlers was General Mill's Cheerios. I think this is most kids' first cereal :-)As they got older we started allowing what we call the "sugared" cereals. Today one of their favorites is Kellogg's Fruit Loops. Of course they also like Kellogg's Raisin Bran, Mini Wheats, Frosted Corn Flakes; along with General Mill's Lucky Charms, Trix and Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

However, being the frugal person that I am, I have taken to buying the big bagged cereals from Malt-O-Meal. They offer a very nice variety of my kid's favorite cereals, at a price that is typically much lower per ounce. And after many taste tests, they are overall better tasting than the store labeled generic brands. I've heard they are supposedly made by the big name cereal companies, but we have noticed a lower quality in taste and consistency with some of them.

I'll continue to watch the ads, and I'll continue to clip and use coupons. But I can no longer promise to support the big brand cereal companies who feel the need to squeeze out the little life-long family of consumers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful with comments. We want an open and healthy place for quality communication. There will often be differences in opinions. If we feel your comment has crossed the line we will not let it show. Thank you for your participation! Mama Bear