Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Emotions Of Graduation



Friday was the big High School Graduation Ceremony. Leading up to it I was fully prepared to be a blubbering idiot during the commencement…I’m a sap. I also invested a lot of time and emotion into raising our children to be great students, and really good people.

To my surprise I didn’t shed a tear! I had this huge pile of Puffs in my purse, and only touched them to move them to an outside pocket of my purse, for easy access. I had worn the waterproof mascara also.

It probably helped that it was chaotic just to get into the gym. The seating was first-come, first-choice on seats. The doors were to open at 6:30...we arrived at exactly 6:30...you should have seen the huge lineup of people outside waiting! My hubby dropped my daughters and I off so we could get a spot in the line while he parked the car.

As we made our way to the gymnasium I kept thinking “Please let us get good seats to take photos from!”

Of course, all of the premier seats were taken by the mass of people in line ahead of us. We did manage to find seats pretty close to the front, but pretty high up.

So, back to the topic…why didn’t I cry?

Maybe it was the lady in front of us who was crying at everything…and I mean everything! The student speeches, the choir’s 1 song, the School Board member’s speech….everything.

More than likely it was seeing how truly happy our son was to be there. As he walked in and took his seat he was looking for us. He really wanted to find where we were. In the masses he finally saw us, and has the best smile on his face! And when he accepted his diploma he looked at us a waved a few times on his walk back to his seat.

The good news is that when we go thru this 2 years from now with our twin daughters we will be the ones “in the know”, and we will be at the head of the line. I wonder if that’s the time I be a blubbering idiot?

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    I'm a member of the mom entrepreneur group and so happy to have found your blog!! My daughter just graduated in June and I also anticipated lots of tears. I actually didn't cry. Maybe it was the speeches or all of the commotion. I'm now finding it hard to hold back the tears as we prepare for college. We've been shopping and accumulating lots of stuff.We live in N.J. and she'll be going off to Emerson College in Boston in Sept.
    I try not to think about it. We'll miss her!!
    Robin
    www.grandmasshoppe.com

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful with comments. We want an open and healthy place for quality communication. There will often be differences in opinions. If we feel your comment has crossed the line we will not let it show. Thank you for your participation! Mama Bear